Empowering Excellence: Leading Innovation in Higher Education
The University of the Philippines (UP), the nation’s National University, is committed to preserving and advancing academic quality across a range of disciplines. In order to do this, UP maintains high standards, pioneers innovations, and upholds quality control in both its degree program and support services. In keeping with the pledge, the UP Academic Assessment and Development System (AADS) was institutionalized in 2018 to offer a system-wide method to ensure that each academic program and its delivery units satisfy the evolving criteria of academic excellence. The AADO was given the responsibility to: Lead in setting academic and administrative standards in relation to Quality Assurance (QA);
- Monitor academic programs and support services based on set standards;
- Provide guidance and support in QA-related activities;
- Promote quality assurance programs; and
- Implement QA-related policies in UP Diliman’s academic and administrative units.
Compliance with the submission of the Internal Academic Assessment and Development System (iAADS) is also a key component to drive academic excellence in UP Diliman. The said instrument provides the occasion for DGUs to elevate their performance on key metrics such as academic standards, teaching performance, faculty publications, performances together with aligning the missions, vision and goals.
QUALITY ASSURANCE TEAM
Aura C. Matias
Senior Project Manager
Senior Project Manger
Media Productions Manager
Junior Office Manager
Jr Managing Researcher
Jr Managing Researcher
Senior ICT Associate
Senior Office Associate
Senior Utility Worker
THE UPD AAD SYSTEM
UP is mandated by its Charter (RA 9500) to perform a unique and distinctive leadership role in higher education and the country's development. Its mandate include:
- Leading in setting academic standards and initiating innovations in teaching, research, and faculty development and philosophy, the arts, and humanities, the social sciences, engineering, natural sciences, mathematics and technology; and maintain centers of excellence in these disciplines and professions.
- Serving as a graduate university by providing advanced studies and specialization for scholars, scientists, writers, artists, and professionals especially those who serve on the faculty of state and private colleges and universities.
- Serving as a research university in various fields of expertise and specialization by conducting basic and applied, research promoting research and development, and contributing to the dissemination and application of knowledge.
- Leading as a public service university by providing various forms of community, public and volunteer service, as well as scholarly and technical assistance to the government, the private sector, and civil society while maintaining its standard of excellence.
- Providing opportunities for training and learning in leadership, responsible citizenship, and the development of democratic values, institutions, and practice through academic and non-academic programs, including sports and enhancement of nationalism and national identity.
- Serving as a regional and global university in cooperation with international and scientific unions, networks of universities, scholarly and professional associate in the Asia Pacific Region and around the world.
Because of its history of academic excellence, UP is expected to uphold these requirements while also improving the standard of its teaching, research, and public service. Despite the fact that the University has long-standing quality assurance (QA) mechanisms and procedures (such as curricular processes), they have not yet been formally incorporated into an internal QA system that has been established in all academic units of its Constituent Universities (CUs).
The Academic Assessment and Development System, which is part of the University of the Philippines’ Quality Assurance System, was established to ensure that the university’s programs and delivery units meet the standards of academic excellence as they are currently defined in the context of local, national, regional, and international developments that have an impact on universities all over the world. The need for academic universities to show that they have systems and processes in place to achieve academic excellence and continuously improve it is one of these developments, which is reflected in the rising importance of QA.
UP's Quality Assurance System
Philosophy of Education and Graduate Attributes
The UP education seeks to produce graduates imbued with an abiding sense of responsibility to their people and nation, the skills and mindsets to improve human life and commitment to the freedom and welfare of all.
Aside from the mastery of knowledge in their specific disciplines, UP graduates must possess breadth of mind, strength of character, and generosity of spirit, fostered by a fir grounding in both the arts and sciences, and such specialist courses as their programs may require.
They must be prepared to inclusively engage with society and the world at large, mindful of their people’s needs and capabilities, and keen to the challenges and opportunities and opportunities of national development in this century of rapid global change.
UP aims to achieve this through General Education program, one that develops mind, body and spirit, which familiarizes all its students with their culture and history and fosters a sense of shared citizenships, while equipping them with critical thinking, discernment and technical skills they will need to excel in their choses professions.